Happy New Year! I hope you are all off today and enjoying some time with your friends and family. As a writer myself, I know how hard it can be to keep your freelance business going, get an agent, publish a book, and everything that goes on with “being a writer.”
Every year at this time, I take stock in my writing career. I look at the clients I have, and decide which ones I want to pursue in the upcoming year. I look at the work I’ve done, and write out a goal on what I want to accomplish this year. I think it’s important to examine your work, especially because writing isn’t just a creative pursuit, it is also a business.
I also make a few “resolutions” for the new year. Do you? I asked several writers recently what their particular resolutions are, and I’ll be posting those tomorrow. For now, I want to share my wishes to all of you for the new year.
In 2012, I hope you:
- Find great clients (the kind that appreciate you and pay you what you’re worth.)
- Write things that move your soul.
- Write things that inspire others.
- Have a profitable business.
- Get comfortable with promoting yourself.
- Find new ways to market your books and writing.
- Encourage other writers.
- Promote other writers.
- Have an abundance of work.
- Find the right balance between work and life.
Happy New Year!