Guest post by Sharon Haynes
It is important that you know exactly what you can and cannot do when you are using any social media website. Etiquette is everything and if you make a social faux pas you could lose a great deal of business which means a loss of income for your company. With Instagram, there is no politics because it’s a simple photo sharing application that allows you to upload your pictures and share them with your community. Even so, it is vital to understand the dos and don’ts of Instagram if you want to have any success with your business marketing plan.
Things You Should Do
The following are the things you should do to make your Instagram experience great. If you do these things you’ll have a better chance of your company standing out from the rest.
- Use the Same Username for both Instagram and Twitter – Most people who follow you on one social networking site will follow you on the other. It is so much easier for them to find you if you have the same name on both sites.
- Be Outgoing – You have to be outgoing and social with your followers. Make sure that you like their photos when you really do and reply to all comments on your pictures. Also make sure that you tag anyone who you are replying to in order for them to know you made the comment.
- Only Post Interesting Photos – Make sure that your photographs are interesting and something that others want to see. If your photos are interesting then you’ll get more likes on them.
Things You Shouldn’t Do
Now that you know what you should be doing, you need to know what you should not do. Knowing what you’re doing wrong can be a huge benefit if your competitors are doing the wrong things.
- Ask People to Follow You – It’s not a good idea and lacks class. Instead, you can begin following other in the hopes that they’ll follow you back.
- Like or Comment on All the Photos from your Followers – If you like every picture that you see then you lose some credibility. Nobody likes everything that they see so be selective and only like the ones that really catch your eye.
- Post too Many Pictures – You want to post photos consistently that is true but you don’t want to overload your feed with twenty pictures each day.
- Post Photoshopped Images – While you can edit and add special effects and filters to your photos, you don’t want to upload pictures that are obviously Photoshopped. These photos are meant to be pure, not overworked and you could lose followers.
There is always a certain etiquette that you have to follow in social situations and social media is no different. If you follow the above do and don’t tips above you should gain more followers without losing your existing ones. Use the same name as your Twitter handle, don’t ask people to follow and never Photoshop a picture you intend on uploading to Instagram.
Sharon Haynes is an Instagram fan who enjoys looking for new creative ways to build her following. She also likes sharing tips.