Jennifer Slattery writes Missional Romance for New Hope Publishers, a publishing house passionate about bringing God’s healing grace and truth to the hopeless. Her debut novel, Beyond I Do, is currently available in print and e-book format for under $10!
You can find it here.
Enjoy this interview.
Tell us a bit about yourself. Where are you from and how long have you been writing?
I’m originally from a small, dairy town in Northwestern Washington, and I’ve been writing for as long as I can remember. Though I didn’t begin pursuing it as a career until maybe seven years ago.
First, I hope they develop the desire and habit of looking deeper when viewing others, as everyone has a very deep and compelling backstory.
Second, I hope they’re encouraged to follow wholeheartedly after God in pursuit of their unique calling. I believe every Christian has a calling.
Share some of your writing goals. What’s next for you?
Well, I have two novels scheduled to follow this one, so I’m expecting big picture edits any day now. I’ve also plotted two novels to follow this one and am waiting to see if my publisher loves the stories as much as I do, hopefully enough to offer two more contracts.
What’s the most interesting book you’ve ever read?
I assume the Bible doesn’t count. You know, I read a lot, and I’m a bit finicky in that my favorite book is often the one I just read. I recently finished the Falcon and the Sparrow by MaryLu Tyndale, and that was one fascinating, page-turning, kept-me-up-way-too-late story!
This list changes daily. I’ve read so many great books. I really enjoyed Falcon and the Sparrow. That was the first MaryLu Tyndale book I’ve read, but if her other novels are anything like it, I’d say she’s bound to be a favorite for sure! I also love biblical fiction author, Carole Towriss. By the Waters of Kadesh was phenomenal!
Book you’re currently reading?
Jennifer Slattery writes Missional Romance for New Hope Publishers, a publishing house passionate about bringing God’s healing grace and truth to the hopeless. Her debut novel, Beyond I Do, is currently available in print and e-book format for under $10! You can find it here:
I’m currently reading an advanced reader copy of a supernatural thriller titled Soul Games by D.K. Anderson. Wow, it’s intense and amazing. Be on the lookout for that one. It should release sometime in mid-September.
Any type of writing ritual you have?
Not hugely, though I do seem to be more creative pre-shower. It must have something to do with the grogginess of my inner editor.
What do you like to do when you’re not writing?
I read. A lot. And hang out with my amazing, handsome, supportive husband or our hilarious teenaged daughter. On the best of days, I hang out with them both. Sipping heavily-flavored coffee with my wonderful friends is also a favorite past-time.
What is one of the things you’re most thankful for as a writer?
My flexible schedule and my ability to stay home. One day, my daughter, somewhat dramatically, said, “When I wake up, you’re here. When I get home from school, you’re here. When I go to bed, you’re here.” As if this bothered her, and yet, our fun conversations before and after school tell me otherwise.
In your opinion, what’s the measure of a successful writer?
Perseverance, dedication, and diligence. We writers often hear only 10% or so of writers get published. I believe that’s because the other 90% quit. Considering it takes an average of seven years for an author to get published, I suppose that’s somewhat understandable. But what if they quit one story, one rejection, one edit, even one week, from reaching their goal?
Where can we learn more about you?
Anything else you’d like to add?
Thanks for having me! This was fun!